Popular Post

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mila Kunis for W Magazine

Rosey cheeked.


W Magazine March 2011 Issue
Editorial: "Venus de Mila"
By Lynn Hirschberg
Photographs by Craig McDean
Styled by Alex White

Hair by Paul Hanlon at Julian Watson Agency
Makeup by Mark Carrasquillo for Art + Commerce


"Venus de Mila" is a terrible pun and whoever came up with that should be terribly ashamed of themselves. Working her Moment like her life depended on it, Mila Kunis is once again posing in feathered dresses and answering questions about herself. Let's listen in.

Lynn Hirschberg: In
Black Swan, you play the wild-child devil girl. You’re both seductive and scary. Had you danced before you took the part?


Mila Kunis: I had never danced in my life. I trained for four months, seven days a week, five hours a day. I had one day off on my birthday. I lost 20 pounds. I tore a ligament. I dislocated my shoulder. I have two scars on my back. And it was worth every minute.


But I will never dance again. I’m a strong believer in mind over matter, but I didn’t fully understand what that meant until this production. I was like, Well—I wear heels; I can do this. I was wrong: Christian Louboutins are uncomfortable, but I screamed the first time I put on a pointe shoe.


What was the first thing you remember seeing of America?


A black man. It was at the American embassy [in Moscow], and all I had known were Caucasian people with blond hair, brunette hair, and sometimes red hair. You’re never really taught about anything else. I think I was frightened. And the beautiful thing was, the man spoke Russian. He explained to me that there are people in this world who are of different color. Being seven and a half, I asked him, “Does that mean there are purple people in this world?”


Okay, that "purple people" story is kind of adorable.


Chanel Spring 2011 Collection/Model: Sasha Pivovarova (IMG)


Nina Ricci Spring 2011 Collection/Model: Jac (IMG)


Marchesa Spring 2011 Collection/Model: Zuzanna Bijoch


Chanel Spring 2011 Collection/Model: Arizona Muse (NEXT)


Christian Dior Spring 2011 Collection/Model: Anna Selezneva (SILENT)


Dior Fine Jewelry’s 18k yellow gold, lacquer, aquamarine, sapphire, and diamond ring.

It really is kind of lame how every editorial she and Natalie have done in the last year have been either ballet-inspired or bird-inspired. Have an original thought now and then, stylists.

Still, we like this one much better than the one she did for the LA Times a couple weeks ago, which was kind of spooky and pervy (befitting the whole Black Swan theme they're beating to death, we suppose). This one focuses in on the one element that's screaming for a spotlight every time she steps in front of a camera: her amazing eyes, which are so large and round, they almost don't look real.

[Photo Credit: wmagazine.com, style.com]

Post a Comment

Labels: , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment