Popular Post

Friday, February 18, 2011

Kim Kardashian for Harper's Bazaar

Walk like an Egyptian (of Greek descent).

Donna Karan dress

Harper's Bazaar March 2011 Issue
Editorial: "Cleopatra with a K"
Photographer: Terry Richardson
Fashion editor: Clare Richardson


Say what you will about Kim Kardashian, she's a beautiful woman and she looks great on that cover. But are we the only ones who think it's kind of an odd cover for a March issue? This has "December issue" written all over it.

Anyway, Kim gets her Cleopatra drag on inside the magazine. On the one hand, going the Cleopatra route is almost a no-brainer, given her looks and her image as a sassy lady (or ho, if you're feeling blunt). But deliberately drawing comparisons to Elizabeth Taylor by putting her in Liz's old Cleo costume? Bitches, it is ON.

But first, let's hear what a person who is famous for no good reason has to say:

On being a business woman:
“I would absolutely characterize myself as ambitious. I put myself on a budget. My parents raised us saying that at 18, we’d be cut off.”

On being in New York filming Kourtney & Kim Take New York and slacking on her diet/exercise:
“I worked out once. I gained like 10 pounds. All the papers were like, Kim’s pregnant! I ate the nuts on the street corner, the hot dogs, the street meat. It was not a joke.

On too many fans hanging around their store in NY:
“The city asked us not to tweet when we were there because the population growing around our store was becoming a fire hazard.”

On filming her first music video with Kanye West:
“I can carry a tune, yeah. I have a cute little voice. I talked to people in the business, and they said, ‘This is what we do for fun. You go to the movies, you go shopping, why don’t you try what we do?"

Blahblahblah.

Let's judge the pics:

Ralph Lauren Collection Gown, Ralph Lauren Collection.
Headpiece and rings, Lynn Ban. Cuff, Tom Ford. Sandals, Casadei.



Dress, Dolce&Gabbana. Headpiece, Alexis Bittar.
Cuffs, Hervé van der Straeten. Sandals, Gucci.



Gown, Salvatore Ferragamo spring 2011 collection. Headpiece, Fallon.
Cuffs, Hervé van der Straeten. Belt ans shoes, Gucci.


Gown, Moschino Cheap and Chic. Studs, Bulgari.


Jumpsuit, Gucci spring 2011 collection. Headpiece and ring, Lynn Ban.
Cuffs, Hervé van der Straeten.



Elizabeth Taylor's original Cleopatra robes.


Enh. She's not much of a model and in retrospect, the Cleopatra theme seems a little obvious. The dresses are great, but she's not working them, except, strangely enough, the actual Liz costume.

And just to keep high strung queens like us from shrieking for her head because she dared to compare herself to Dame Liz, they threw in an actual Q & A between the reality "star" and the legend herself. And you know what? They seemed to get each other pretty well:

KIM KARDASHIAN:
You are my idol. But I'm six husbands and some big jewels behind. What should I do?

ELIZABETH TAYLOR:
I never planned to acquire a lot of jewels or a lot of husbands. For me, life happened, just as it does for anyone else. I have been supremely lucky in my life in that I have known great love, and of course I am the temporary custodian of some incredible and beautiful things. But I have never felt more alive than when I watched my children delight in something, never more alive than when I have watched a great artist perform, and never richer than when I have scored a big check to fight AIDS. Follow your passion, follow your heart, and the things you need will come.

LUV. HUH. Liz, not Kim. You can read the rest of their exchange here.

Behind-the-scenes video/interview with Laura Brown:



[Photo Credit: Terry Richardson, harpersbazaar.com, style.com]

Post a Comment

Labels: , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment